Dual Language E-Books
Miscellaneous
Russian Lessons.Net

Russian Language Forums
New Here - Learning Russian for High School Credit

Forums Home
 Register       Log in 

New Here - Learning Russian for High School Credit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion

AuthorMessage
KazakhMom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: New Here - Learning Russian for High School Credit Reply with quote

Hi there!

My name is Lin, from Ohio. My husband & I have 2 kids, Kristina (16) & Anton (13), who we adopted from Kazakhstan 8 yrs ago.

My daughter wants to re-learn Russian for high school language credit. We do have one university near us that offers Russian, but unfortunately, Kristina's GPA is currently not quite up to their requirements for taking their classes for high school credit.

Are there any online programs that teach Russian, that can be used for high school credit in Ohio? I've spent most of this evening trying to search online myself, but I have to admit, my eyes are crossing at this point, & I'm only getting myself more & more confused! Shocked

Any ideas or hints, anyone? I've even looked at Rosetta Stone, & while it is rather costly, if it's the only option we have, I may have to go that route. I'd rather not, though.

Thanks for your input!!

спасибо!

Lin
Neko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned English playing online video games like Diablo II and StarCraft on American servers. Currently I am learning Russian by playing World of Warcraft on a Russian server. It's a slow process, but for 15 €/month it is really the only affordable way for me - and I get to have fun in the process.
There are no Russian learning opportunities where I live, online courses are questionable and programs like Rosetta Stone are overrated and overpriced.
The very best way to learn a language, is to go live where it is spoken. And I plan to do just that as soon I graduate from my college program. Smile
Hope this helps.
~Neko
latino2003

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Neko!

I'm russian and my English may be seems a little poor for you)

I just would to say in light of recent events related to adoption of children from Russia and severe treatment of them is very commendable that you care about their desires.

I can't to help you with searching school in Ohio, but if you want i could help your children with russian through the Internet - icq, skype, email.
KazakhMom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neko & Latino:

Thanks for the ideas! While they don't solve my problem, it's always nice to know new ways of helping someone learn, & nice to know there are offers of help out there. I'm glad I found this site!

Latino, I've heard some of the stories of "bad adoptions" that you mentioned. Fortunately, though, I think they're very rare - they just get a lot more publicity than the success stories! When things do go bad, I blame some of the adoption agencies out there, that don't take the time to educate the parents who want to adopt a child from *any* foreign country, as to what they could be getting into. It's not easy.....but neither is having kids of your own. It takes work. When things *do* go bad, though, no matter how much trouble the parents get into for being bad, the ones who pay the worst price is the kids. They didn't ask to be adopted by people who either weren't prepared properly, or people who *were* prepared, but who were too lazy to work at it. It's a sad situation. As for bad adoption agencies, that almost happened to us - but fortunately, all our paperwork was done by the time our agency started to fall apart, & all we had left to do was wait for the invitation from the Kazakh government to come & actually get our kids. Shortly after that, the agency closed, & the former owner is now sitting in a Russian prison. From what he did to some families who were trying to adopt, he certainly deserves to be there - he stole money, offered kids for adoption who didn't really exist, offered the same kid to more than one family, & gave the kid to the family who was willing to pay the highest price, etc. There are some rotten people out there, & you have to be smart enough to be careful. Our kids are the greatest, & we love them to pieces. They're not perfect, but I don't know anyone who *is* perfect! Very Happy

Anyway, thank you both for your ideas. I'll keep looking for some way to have them learn Russian for high school language credit, but now I know that, if they want extra help from native speakers, we can come here!

Lin
latino2003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KazakhMom wrote:
Neko & Latino:

Thanks for the ideas! While they don't solve my problem, it's always nice to know new ways of helping someone learn, & nice to know there are offers of help out there. I'm glad I found this site!

Latino, I've heard some of the stories of "bad adoptions" that you mentioned. Fortunately, though, I think they're very rare - they just get a lot more publicity than the success stories! When things do go bad, I blame some of the adoption agencies out there, that don't take the time to educate the parents who want to adopt a child from *any* foreign country, as to what they could be getting into. It's not easy.....but neither is having kids of your own. It takes work. When things *do* go bad, though, no matter how much trouble the parents get into for being bad, the ones who pay the worst price is the kids. They didn't ask to be adopted by people who either weren't prepared properly, or people who *were* prepared, but who were too lazy to work at it. It's a sad situation. As for bad adoption agencies, that almost happened to us - but fortunately, all our paperwork was done by the time our agency started to fall apart, & all we had left to do was wait for the invitation from the Kazakh government to come & actually get our kids. Shortly after that, the agency closed, & the former owner is now sitting in a Russian prison. From what he did to some families who were trying to adopt, he certainly deserves to be there - he stole money, offered kids for adoption who didn't really exist, offered the same kid to more than one family, & gave the kid to the family who was willing to pay the highest price, etc. There are some rotten people out there, & you have to be smart enough to be careful. Our kids are the greatest, & we love them to pieces. They're not perfect, but I don't know anyone who *is* perfect! Very Happy

Anyway, thank you both for your ideas. I'll keep looking for some way to have them learn Russian for high school language credit, but now I know that, if they want extra help from native speakers, we can come here!

Lin

Hi, Lin.

I found ukranian school in Ohio, but there is no able to send url of site. If you give me your email or skype/icq i'll try to help you to find the information on russian language sites in US

PS Sorry, i haven't noticed in my first message that I wrote Neko)
ok11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Here - Learning Russian for High School Credit Reply with quote

KazakhMom wrote:
Are there any online programs that teach Russian, that can be used for high school credit in Ohio? I've spent most of this evening trying to search online myself, but I have to admit, my eyes are crossing at this point, & I'm only getting myself more & more confused! Shocked
If you're still looking for options, something else to consider is BYU Independent Study. Here's (an embedded) link to the First-Year Russian, Part 1 course, and here's a link to the accreditation page.
draifyiferaks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: I never thought that not having a car can affect my live so dramatically Reply with quote

Excuse for that I interfere … here recently. But this theme is very close to me. Write in PM.
latino2003

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: I never thought that not having a car can affect my live so dramatically Reply with quote

draifyiferaks wrote:
Excuse for that I interfere … here recently. But this theme is very close to me. Write in PM.

As before I am not able to write any link in my messages. I can send you the information I've found for Lin, e.g. via email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> General DiscussionAll times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

phpBB