Dual Language E-Books
Miscellaneous
Russian Lessons.Net

Russian Language Forums
Social Networks: "+1s" and Facebook "Likes&am

Forums Home
 Register       Log in 

Social Networks: "+1s" and Facebook "Likes&am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> Site News

Do you want to see +1 and Like buttons on this site?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Don't Care
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Social Networks: "+1s" and Facebook "Likes&qu Reply with quote

We are wondering what users think about "Social Networking" buttons. Like Google's "+1" and Facebook's "Like". There are similar features from other popular sites we might include. We would also investigate Russian social networking sites such as vkontakte for suitability.

These allow you to easily share the sites content with your friends and family, which is good news for us, but there are some disadvantages also. So we thought we would get your feedback.

Disadvantages:
Sites such as Facebook & Google could track your site usage even if you don't click them. Both sites report that they only keep anonymous information. (Actually Google could already get this data as we use their services for advertising).

There may also be a speed penalty. The site would load ever so slightly slower, in particular the first page you view. Most users would notice little or no difference. In the past we have always kept this site lean so it would be faster for Russian users on slower connections, but Russian connections have improved a lot in the last few years.

Advantages:
The main advantage is that you can share the parts of the site you like. This may be of interest to your friends. It will also promote the site, which helps us, and in the long run enables us to develop more content.

Please post your feedback below and help us decide if we are going to include such features. To be honest we simply aren't sure if we want to or not. So we thought it best to ask our users...
Siberия
Volunteer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say as I'm for it. Making the site too public will just attract the masses of idiots who are just coming around for momentary kicks, who will then proceed to leave. As it stands, we're fortunate not to get much of that. Plus, spammers seem to be in love with this site, so the more public we are, the more spammers will know about us, the more spam we may get. No, Russianlessons is an amazing place exactly because it's exclusive - we only get people around here who are really interested in learning Russian (or English). People have to want to find the site.

As far as making us public, I think everyone here is smart enough to know which of their friends they might be able to interest in learning Russian, and I think that's the best way to keep it - a quiet, family setting. One of the things I like most about this forum is the feeling that everybody knows everybody. If we go über-public, we'll lose that and become just another "publicly traded" forum, and exposing ourselves to social networking sites is the first step on that dark path, so I'm going to vote this one down.

-Siberия
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Siberия. I'm on VK and FB, but I really don't see advances in 'liking' pages here. I mean, I like all pages and lessons, because they are really helpful, but.. My friends don't have to see I'm here or anything. I found this brilliant website via Google and only because I was searching for it, specifically.. To learn Russian Smile

So another vote: down
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> Site NewsAll times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Visit us on Facebook