Dual Language E-Books
Miscellaneous
Russian Lessons.Net

Russian Language Forums
Russian Diphthongs

Forums Home
 Register       Log in 

Russian Diphthongs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> Questions

AuthorMessage
randys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Russian Diphthongs Reply with quote

I am trying to find a list of common Russian diphthongs with the English phonetic equivalent. EX: Russian: AE = English sound: ya (i think that's right! Very Happy)

I've been learning Russian for about 5 weeks now. I'm going to Kyiv next August. I know the alphabet and how to pronounce the letters so I can read Russian to a point...understanding the word is just building my vocabulary. I learned many basic phrases and now am understanding why certain words are spelled and pronounced differently under different circumstances. Learning what vowels are stressed is a problem and diphthongs are another one.

I have to say thought that 5 weeks ago Russian looked like total gibberish and now even if I don't know the meaning or exact spelling of a word I can begin to pronounce it and of course there are many words that I do know and can translate. I really am enjoying learning Russian. I expected it to be a chore but it is fun. Laughing

Any help would be appreciated! Smile)
Eugene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the right way, buddy. Understanding of spoken words is a great basis to learn a language. Especially Russian. But I'm afraid that you'll get some difficulties when try to recognise Russian sounds, syllables and words without knowing of how to say them in Russian way. And I think it would be better if you try to learn correct pronunciation instead of corresponding English sounds. They sound differently, anyway. Wink
Good luck!
sergey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: diphthongs Reply with quote

www.erudition.ru/referat/ref/id.50427_1.html

www.study.ru/support/transcription.html
randys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Russian Diphthongs Reply with quote

Eugene wrote:
You're on the right way, buddy. Understanding of spoken words is a great basis to learn a language. Especially Russian. But I'm afraid that you'll get some difficulties when try to recognise Russian sounds, syllables and words without knowing of how to say them in Russian way. And I think it would be better if you try to learn correct pronunciation instead of corresponding English sounds. They sound differently, anyway. Wink
Good luck!

Thanks! I should have said I'm looking for the phonetic "spellings". That's in the absence of an audio file. I know a couple of people who came from Russia or Ukraine and they are helping me to begin to converse. Thank goodness there is Skype!
randys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: diphthongs Reply with quote

sergey wrote:
www.erudition.ru/referat/ref/id.50427_1.html

www.study.ru/support/transcription.html

Ah! Thank you very much! These links are very helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> QuestionsAll times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

phpBB