Russian Lessons
Russian Grammar
Russian Vocabulary
Online Russian Tools
Dual Language E-Books
Miscellaneous
Russian Lessons.Net

Russian Language Forums
What's the best textbook for self teaching?

Forums Home
 Register       Log in 

What's the best textbook for self teaching?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> Questions

AuthorMessage
DARKastheRAIN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: What's the best textbook for self teaching? Reply with quote

I actually already taught myself most of the grammar out of a book that was just straight grammar, which I think worked best for me in the beginning, but now I've been trying to go through this book I got at my school library to get a better idea of how the languague is used in context, but it's quite out of date (1950's) and the conversations and topics in the exercises are so incredibly boring that it puts me off working on it. I'm starting to think that maybe I should buy a better book.

Can you give me some suggestions of a really good beginner to intermediate Russian textbook that's good for self teaching? It'll need to have a key, and I'd like it to have really good exercises (which at this point is actually more important to me than good lessons because I already know the grammar; what I really need is practice), exercises with translation BOTH from English to Russian AND from Russian to English. It would also help if the exercises were somewhat interesting.

Thanks
KRWright

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners

You can find it in bookstores, or on Amazon. It's pretty cheap. I don;t have it myself, but I have flipped through it and have heard countless good things about it.
puckstress

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathryn Szczepanska's Russian: A Self-Teaching Guide has tons of exercises in every chapter, with answer keys, and she's funny too. FYI, I'm a beginner, have only been learning for three months. I've already dog-eared, marked up, and generally beaten the living daylights out of this book.
Александрови

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Everything Learning Russian Book with CD by Julia Stakhnevich, Ph.D. The book gets right to the point and explains everything. It has everything from the alphabet, greetings, and food to declensions and endings of each case. It even has a small dictionary in the back along with a CD. I have had it for several months now and I still haven't seen everything it has to offer.

On the contrary, I also have Russian for Dummies. I would definitely NOT recommend this book, because it transliterates everything into Latin letters. Sure you would know how to say and hear everything, but what happens when you have to read a Russian sign? Julia Stakhnevich's book, however, encourages you to learn and read the Russian alphabet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Russian Lessons .Net Forums Forum Index -> QuestionsAll times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

phpBB